Monday, July 2, 2007

Polska !

I went to Stash Cafe, a Polish restaurant and I thought I would share that experience with you. It's located in the magnificent St Paul street in the old city. As the owners delicately put it they are a family restaurant with a timeless menu faithful to the secrets of the Polish kitchen. The menu is indeed very ethnic and appetizing and I can guarantee you won't recognize any familiar dishes (unless you're a polish food connoisseur, that is). Being very uninformed about local polish customs and dishes, I chose to go for the DEBUTANT menu, where they feature a hint of everything, allowing the "ignorant" to try a wide selection of dishes. My favorites were the fried potato "galette" and a Cobb/sausage/veal dish....(sorry for not remembering the actual names of the dishes)
Also noteworthy is the excellent soups and the traditional vodka they serve.

The mood of the place is really warm, with a live pianist with a repertoire that spans from radiohead to Liszt but sometimes wonders into hotel territory (which I'm not a big fan of).
The waiters are all very nice (and cute) and service was very friendly. I even got into a discussion about facebook with one of them (we're all so addicted to it that we even discuss it with waiters now).

I definetly recommend this restaurant, for anyone who's curious about foreign cuisine and fed up with traditional restaurants in the city.

Stash Café: 200, Saint-Paul Ouest ; reservations: (514) 845-6611

No comments: